In this post I will share my opinions about becoming a great guitarist. As everybody will agree that, there are many things that are required to become a great guitar player. I will just focus on five things that I feel are important.
I will be talking more about mental exercises rather than finger exercises because I feel psychology plays an important role in everybody's life. Everything that we do has some kind of motivation. To become a great guitarist, you will need great motivation.
1) If you want to become a great guitar player, you need set a goal. You have to be clear about what you want. If you just want to play some chords and sing some songs, that's fine. This is because, this is your goal. Or some of you would like to play like Joe Satriani. Whatever your goal is, it would be really good to define your goal clearly. Once the goal is defined, you will know how much effort you need to put to achieve that goal.
If you want to become Joe Satriani or any of you guitar idol, you must have realized by now that you will have to put lot of hours everyday. You should be ready to make sacrifices. Always remember that there is nothing like "something for nothing". If you want something, you will have to give something.
2) Second rule is to practice regularly. This means you should practice according to your goals. Practicing everyday for half an hour is a good idea rather than practicing for four hours only on one day in a week. Consistency is the key to success.
3) Be different and experiment with your playing. This world needs a new guitarist and that guitarist can be you. You never know! You have to experiment as much as possible when playing the guitar and come up with new ideas and melodies. We all have a great potential in us that we need to tap.
4) Be patient and think positive. There will be a time when whatever you will play will sound bad and nothing will seem right. Don't give up. Keep on playing. Don't see where you are now instead focus on where you want to reach in the future. Visualize that you are playing on a stage and pulling off an amazing solo in front of a crowd. This will make you positive. This is the best advise I can give that you can use in your darkest hours.
5) Last but not the least, learn guitar chops like different guitar scales and chords. Study as much as you can about music theory. This really helps.